375 College Street
Amherst, MA 01002
My Favorite Pulled Pork
4 pound pork shoulder, picnic roast or pork butt
4 Tbsp smoked paprika
3 tsp salt
2 Tbsp chilli powder
2 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp oregano
1-2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
4 Tbsp coconut sugar
1. Mix all the dry spices together, except the sugar
2. Put your roast in the crockpot
3. Cover all sides generously with the spice mix and give it a rub.
4. Pour in the apple cider vinegar towards the bottom on the pot
5. Pour the sugar on top of the roast. You can use less, if desired. This makes 8 servings, so the sugar content is quite low already
6. Cook on high for 8-10 hours. You will know it’s done when it pulls apart easily with two forks
7. Take the meat out of the juice and set aside
8. Pour the juice into the fat separator, or tip the pot and ladle off the fat as best you can. Toss the oil in the trash
9. Put the meat back in and shred it up
10. Enjoy with a hefty portion of awesome veggie sides!
This is my favorite recipe for pulled pork because it’s super flavorful, low in sugar and easy to make. Most pulled pork recipes rely on store bought barbecue sauce for all the flavor, which is packed with sugar (usually high fructose corn syrup) and other nasty additives. This recipe gets its flavor from a home made spice rub. I make the rub in a pretty large batch so I have it on hand. Good cuts to use for this recipe are pork shoulder, butt or picnic roast. This recipe does require a longer cooking time, so you will need yo get it going in the morning, or let it cook overnight.
At Peddar Fitness we take a full and unique approach to your fitness goals. Everyone’s body, goals, abilities and backgrounds are different, and our coaches specifically tailor your workouts, nutrition guidance and exercise programming to suit your individual needs. It is our goal to motivate, inspire, and push you in a safe and constructive way, with our endless variety of equipment and techniques to achieve the physique, functionality, and quality of life you have always wanted. Trust us, if getting in shape was easy, everyone would do it. With a little hard work, sacrifice and discipline we can accomplish your goals together, so let’s get better fitness with Peddar Fitness!
Sign Up For a
Nutrition tip of the week